Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 28, 2019

A Post in Search of a Topic

So how's about that new Godzilla film... I'm excited for that. But it's not out yet and I'm no big shot film critic who gets invites to press screenings. So can't talk about that. I'd love to talk about one of the 30 some other Godzilla films but I don't have anything new to add to the discussion surrounding those and those not familiar probably wouldn't care anyhow. That Detective Pikachu movie is doing well, but I haven't seen it yet so I don't have anything to say about that either... So what to talk about...

Well after taking a pleasant evening shower I put in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country to have on in the background as I write this post. Not that I have much to say about it either to be honest. I suppose it is a little interesting that it's my favorite of the original Star Trek films. Most people default to Wrath of Kahn, but Undiscovered Country has a kind of historical and literary gravitas to it no other film in the Star Trek franchise achieves. So that's kinda cool, and I could waffle about that, but it's due pretty much entirely to an obvious allegory that doesn't need much explanation. "The Klingons are an allegory for Russians during the cold war? Who would have guessed!" Everyone who would read this blog is pretty much aware of that anyway so it'd be a waste of a post.

How's about we get a little psychoanalytical and try and figure out why I put in Undiscovered Country of all movies on instead of any other of the literally thousands of movies I could be watching that I haven't seen. I think there really is something to be said for the comfort film. A film you've seen DOZENS of times that you know REALLY well to the point that it's comfortable and easy to watch. Much like a warm blanket. Mmmm I can feel the warm fuzzies already. This goes a long way to answering the question I posed a few sentences back. Of course Undiscovered Country is a comfort film for me. I've certainly seen it enough and for a lot of reasons it's my favorite of it's franchise. But that's a weird sticking point "of it's franchise". I have other films I've seen and enjoy even more than Undiscovered Country: E.T., Indiana Jones (all three of them), etc... But I picked Undiscovered Country.

A factor perhaps oft overlooked is convenience. I happened to be closer to my DVDs & Blu Ray's marked m-z meaning I'd have to walk 3 whole steps to get to the #-l disks. I sure as hell wasn't about to do that I might lose interest and just lie face down on the floor between them in a stupor of laziness. I have a deadline to commit to damn it and I'm going to get a post out tonight no matter how meandering or unfocused. Anyway, convenience was definitely a factor in picking STVI (I am not typing that out every time). Hmm though examining my m-z shelf a little closer we have Raimi's Spider-Man movies, Prince of Egypt, Secret of NIMH, hell even My Little Pony: The Movie and you KNOW I have to actively stop myself from watching that one all day every day.

There's also the fact that I'm writing this blog post. Star Trek carries a sense of prestige with it. It's got a reputation for being a smart well produced sci-fi franchise so talking about it might rub some of that prestige off onto me or my humble blog. That's right! I'm an internet movie blogger who likes STAR TREK VI that means I'm super smart and you just have to take me seriously no matter how rambling my posts are. I suppose it also helps that my favorite person in the world is coming back home in about an hour so I want to put on a movie that will appeal to him as well so he doesn't have to come home from work to... I don't know something stupid and poorly produced like a Resident Evil movie or something. Not that he'd much care anyway, but I am unashamed to admit that it certainly make me look better which as we all know is the really important thing here.

While writing the above paragraph I could have sworn I had another factor to waffle about, but I have no clue what it was. I really am making this up as I go. This stream of consciousness style I'm using here isn't just some kind of cute device to make things more interesting or personal. It's because I actually have no clue what I'm doing. It's sometimes nice to let whatever is most intuitive and convenient come out. I think it's especially important to indulge this in our leisure time. Which this blog is. Of course forsaking planning and logic is not good all of the time even in leisure. Structure and forethought can be very productive during leisure, but so can intuition and lack of forethought.
I mean look at this post: I stumbled my way into a point. I am enjoying having the movie I picked intuitively playing in the background, and analyzing the reasons behind it got me nowhere! I only managed to get to a point by meandering away from the comfort movie topic. This then proves the premise that intuition and lack of forethought can, and I can't stress this enough, occasionally be productive in leisure and hobbies.

So sometimes just don't overthink it.

No comments:

Post a Comment